The traditional Greek salad: More often than not, your average food establishment probably gets this one wrong (i.e. adding lettuce and dressing).
Greek blogger, author and food personality Tassos Antoniou shows you how to right those wrongs with an authentic recipe for true homemade Greek salad from the island of Sifnos.
His books, Mama Peinao blog (meaning, “Mom I’m Hungry!”) and website are among the most popular in Greece, thanks to his approachable style and straightforward instructions.
Read the ingredients/instructions below and bring a taste of Sifnos into your own kitchen.
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Yield: 4 people
- 4 large tomatoes, cut in rectangular pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 small red onion, cut in thin slices
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut in thin slices
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp capers
- 100 gr. Sifnos mizithra cheese
- 3-4 tbsp Greek extra virgin olive oil (Buy your Greek extra virgin olive oil here)
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and combine. Taste for saltiness and if needed add salt (mizithra cheese is already salted, so I find absolutely no need to add more). Serve in a salad bowl along with crusty artisanal bread to taste all these beautiful juices!
Will you Support The Pappas Post for as little as the cost of a cup of coffee per month?
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Visit our Patreon page and start your monthly support today.