Here’s a twist on your traditional Melitzanosalata — that tangy, smokey eggplant dip that is a staple on any Greek table.
Also known as “Greek eggplant dip,” Melitzanosalata is a simple yet tasty dish of roasted eggplant, garlic, oil and lemon juice. It’s perfect spread on toasted bread, or as part of a larger group of appetizers.
In Greek restaurants and taverns, this appetizer round is usually presented as a “meze” (meaning “small plate”) and served on a table family-style — to share. Dips such as Melitzanosalata are super popular throughout the Greek islands.
But with chopped walnuts on top, you can add an extra punch that’ll guarantee your Melitzanosalata to distinguish itself from the rest.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 pita breads
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1. Pierce eggplant with tines of fork and wrap tightly in foil. Place eggplant on baking sheet and roast at 425Â°F 45 minutes to 1 hour, until soft; cool slightly.
2. Halve eggplant lengthwise and scoop out pulp into a blender or food processor; puree and set aside.
3. In dry skillet over medium-high heat, cook walnuts until lightly toasted, about 1 to 2 minutes; stir into eggplant pulp. Add mint, lemon juice, garlic, oil and salt and pepper. Cover and chill slightly.
4. Serve with pita: Cut each pita into 6 wedges.Place on baking sheet, sprinkle with cheese and broil until pitas are lightly toasted and cheese melts. Serve pitas with dip.
Will you Support The Pappas Post for as little as the cost of a cup of coffee per month?
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!