Creamy, cheesy, spicy — tirokafteri has all of the flavors to make it one of the best options for dips.
Not that we have anything against tzatziki of course, but why not mix things up with another savory blend of Greek tastes?
To help with this, food author, blogger and personality Tassos Antoniou has shared a tasteful recipe that is perfect for pairing with appetizers such as pita, flatbread or french fries.
His books, Mama Peinao blog (meaning, “Mom I’m Hungry!”) and website are among the most popular in Greece, thanks to his approachable style and straightforward instructions.
Read the ingredients/instructions below to learn how to make this mouthwatering appetizer dip.
- 3 red peppers, washed
- 1/2 cup organic Greek olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 500 g. feta cheese, cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
1. Place the peppers on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Roast for five minutes in preheated oven at 180oC / 356oF / Gas mark 4. Carefully remove the skin (wearing gloves) and cut them in chunks.
2. Add peppers, organic Greek olive oil and white wine vinegar in blender. Whizz for 1 minute until smooth. Add feta cheese, Greek yogurt and red pepper flakes and beat for 2 more minutes until creamy. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
3. Serve as meze with toasted bread, pita, flatbread or french fries.
Will you Support The Pappas Post for as little as the cost of a cup of coffee per month?
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!