If you have been to a Greek restaurant, then you have probably seen the sudden flash of fire followed by an “OPA!” as the waiter serves a hot plate of saganaki cheese at a nearby table.
Ever thought how it would be to enjoy that same freshly-fried saganaki in the comfort of your own home?
Greek blogger, author and food personality Tassos Antoniou has you covered with a fast, delicious recipe that is easy to follow.
His books, Mama Peinao blog (meaning, “Mom I’m Hungry!”) and website are among the most popular in Greece, thanks to his approachable style and straightforward instructions.
Read the ingredients/instructions below and also watch the video (in English) to learn how to make this mouthwatering fried cheese dish, Greek style.
- 4 oz cheese — graviera, kasseri, or any other hard cheese, in block
- cold water to soak
- 5 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil (Buy Greek extra virgin olive oil here)
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- For this saganaki recipe, you will need a block of hard cheese that will maintain its shape in the frying pan. Cut the cheese into 2 cm thick pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Soak the cheese in cold water. Dredge it into the flour. Fry it for three minutes until golden brown and crispy. Flip sides and fry the cheese for another 3 minutes. Make sure to fry the sides so the saganaki is evenly crispy. Transfer to a platter covered with kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve the saganaki while still hot. Don’t forget to squeeze a little lemon to it before tasting it!
Will you Support The Pappas Post for as little as the cost of a cup of coffee per month?
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!