Greek blogger, author and food personality Tassos Antoniou has a knack for making food simple.
Like everything else Tassos shares, this finger-licking good Portokalopita (Orange Cake) recipe is both amazingly delicious and easily accessible and approachable, even to the novice cook.
Read the instructions below but make sure to also watch the video (in Greek) which is included in this post, as it provides important instructions on how to separate the phyllo sheets, which are the main ingredient to this mouth-watering cake.
- 16 oz phyllo sheets
- 4 big eggs, preferably organic
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 oranges (zest)
- 1 ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. sunflower oil
- For the syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup lukewarm water
- 2 oranges (juice)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C.
- Remove the phyllo sheets from package and shred into ½ inch pieces, using a knife or your hands.
- Grease a round baking dish or cake tin with sunflower oil.
- Combine the eggs with the sugar in a large bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until pale and frothy. Add the orange zest, Greek yogurt, vanilla extract and baking powder. Beat on medium speed until well combined. Slowly add the sunflower oil and beat again. Stir in the phyllo sheets gradually whisking each time with a spatula, until fully incorporated.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish and bake for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, bring sugar, water, orange juice and cinnamon stick to a boil over medium heat, for 2 minutes; remove from heat. Pour the hot syrup over the cold portokalopita or vice versa. Set aside for 1 hour until the syrup has soaked in. Slice and serve.
Will you Support The Pappas Post for as little as the cost of a cup of coffee per month?
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!