During Christmas time, every household in Greece makes an enormous pile of melomakarona, also known as “Greek Christmas honey cookies.”
Greek blogger, author and food personality Tassos Antoniou has shared an incredibly tasteful recipe that shows you how you can enjoy this classic Greek Christmas delight, which makes for a great treat with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
Antoniou’s books, Mama Peinao blog (meaning, “Mom I’m Hungry!”) and website are among the most popular in Greece, thanks to his approachable style and straightforward instructions.
Read the ingredients/instructions below and also watch the video (in English) so you can make your own delicious melomakarona today!
Melomakarona (Greek Christmas Honey Cookies)
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins | Total Time: 35 mins | Servings: 40 cookies
- 1 lb water
- 1 lb sugar
- 10 oz honey (Buy your Greek honey here)
- 1 slice of orange
- 9 oz maize oil
- 9 oz olive oil (Buy your Greek extra virgin olive oil here)
- 3 tbsp brandy
- 3 oranges juice and zest
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp clover
- 2.5 tsp cinnamon
- 2.2 lb all purpose flour
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- crushed walnuts to serve
- In a large pot, heat water, sugar, orange slice and honey. Allow to boil for three minutes after it starts simmering. Remove from heat. Stir well and allow to completely cool down in room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 320oF / 260oC.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, maize oil, brandy, sugar, cinnamon, clover, orange zest. In a cup, mix the baking soda with the orange juice. Add to the oil mixture. Sift the flour with the baking powder into the mixture. Mix using your hands, until all ingredients are blended, for about 2-3 minutes. The final mixture should be soft and beautifully incorporated.
- Pull off a medium sized piece of dough and shape it into an oval cookie using your hands.
- Gently press the cookie on a grater to form a pattern on it.
- Place each cookie on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave a few inches space among the cookies as they will double in size in the oven.
- Keep shaping and flattening the cookies until all dough is used up.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
- While the melomakarona are still hot, soak them in the syrup. Using a deep-fry skimmer, soak one melomakarono at a time in the cold syrup for 10 seconds. Please on a wire rack and allow to rest and soak the syrup, for at least one hour.
- Serve the melomakarona on a platter. Garnish with crushed walnuts.
Visit the Pappas Post Market for Greek products like extra virgin olive oil, honey from Crete and other delicacies available to ship to your home.
Will you become a Patron for as little as the cost of a cup of coffee per month?
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high— and free. Visit our Patreon page and start your monthly support today. When you become a Patron, you’ll also join an exclusive group of supporters that will have access to additional content and special offers that will be created just for you.