Pasta Bolognese: you probably know it as the beloved pasta dish from Bologna, Italy, but perhaps you didn’t know that Greeks have their own twist on it as well.
Food blogger, author and personality Tassos Antoniou has shared his mouthwatering recipe for a Greek household favorite — makaronia me kima.
His books, Mama Peinao blog (meaning, “Mom I’m Hungry!”) and website are among the most popular in Greece, thanks to his approachable style and straightforward instructions.
Read the ingredients/instructions below and also watch the video (in English) to learn how to make this flavorful home-cooked dish.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Yield: 2 | Calories/serving: 520
For the tomato and meat sauce
- 7 oz minced beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil (Buy your Greek extra virgin olive oil here)
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 can tomatoes
- salt, fresh pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp kaseri cheese
- Put a large saucepan on a medium heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and fry for 5 minutes. Stir the veg often until it softens.
- Add the canned tomatoes with salt, fresh pepper and brown sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon, breaking up the tomatoes. Bring to the boil over medium heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the minced beef and cook stirring for 5 minutes until the meat is browned all over.
- The Bolognese sauce is ready when you have a rich, thick sauce. When the Bolognese is nearly finished, boil the spaghetti following pack instructions. Drain the spaghetti and stir into the Bolognese sauce. Serve the makaronia me kima with grated kaseri cheese.
See the video
Will you Support The Pappas Post for as little as the cost of a cup of coffee per month?
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!