Our reader Diana Moutsopoulos shared her Los Angeles-style Vasilopita. She runs a popular Instagram page filled with Greek and Mediterranean-inspired recipes and food.
The recipe is a keeper, not only for its unique flavor combination (mahlepi and tangerine!) but also because it is “healthier” than most similar cakes, according to Diana.
It’s lower in sugar than most cakes and is made with olive oil and Greek yogurt.
- 375g (1 2/3 c) Greek yogurt
- 150ml (2/3 c) olive oil
- 200g (1 c) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp orange or tangerine zest
- 1/2 tsp mahlepi (mahleb)
- 310g (2 1/2 c) all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Combine yogurt, oil, sugar, eggs, tangerine zest, and mahlepi. Beat well. Sift in dry ingredients. Stir till just combined.
2. Pour into greased 9 inch / 23cm springform cake pan.
3. Bake at 350 F / 180 C for 45-60 min.
Will you Support The Pappas Post for as little as the cost of a cup of coffee per month?
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!