Chef Peter Giannakas is serving up some really popular Greek-inused and inspired dishes at the restaurant that he and his brother Chris own in Astoria.
Ovelia is a Greek staple on 30th Avenue with traditional fare, as well as some unique concoctions that the Giannakas brothers have created.
** Serves 2-4 depending on your conception of portion control.
- 2 cups of Greek green pitted olives, roughly chopped and set aside.
- Splurge a little here, as the brine in cheaper brands are loaded with preservatives.
- 1 fully packed cup of crumbled feta
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 oz. white vinegar
- 4 half inch thick pork chops
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil (Buy your Greek extra virgin olive oil here)
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor.
- Start at a low speed to avoid a mess and turn up to a higher speed until you have a smooth creamy puree.
- Double the recipe to keep some in the fridge for use on a salad the next day, because you’ll definitely need to eat a salad after eating fried pork chops.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Dredge pork chops on both sides and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. Test the oil with a dash of flour. It should excite the oil (and you a little bit).
- Place two pork chops in the pan at a time and cook until golden brown on both sides (2-3 minutes on the first side and 1-2 minutes on the other).
- Plate and spoon on the feta sauce to your liking and top them with the chopped olives.
Will you Support The Pappas Post for as little as the cost of a cup of coffee per month?
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!