Traditional, healthy and easy to make — this is how Greek celebrity chef Akis Petretzikis describes baked chickpea stew, also known as “revithada,” which he says is one of his favorite dishes.
One of Greece’s most popular food experts, Petretzikis has a huge international following, thanks in large part to his fresh look and fresh approach to cooking.
He has garnered more than one million Instagram followers, a number which equates to roughly 10% of his country’s population.
Petretzikis got his start on the popular Greek TV show Master Chef where contestants cook for a panel of judges who are established in the food industry. He won the show in 2010 and since then has not looked back.
In the video below, he shows viewers how to make revithada in their own home. For his recipe he estimates a preparation time of 10 minutes and a cook time of 60 minutes.
See the ingredients and instructions and refer to his video.
- 2 stick(s) celery
- 2 onions
- 2 clove(s) of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 tablespoon(s) thyme
- 2 sprig(s) rosemary
- lemon zest, of 2 lemons
- lemon juice, of 2 lemons
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 800 g water
- 600 g chickpeas
- 1/3 bunch dill
- 4-5 tablespoon(s) olive oil
– Cut the celery, onions, garlics, and carrots into small cubes and add them into a pot.
– Add the thyme, rosemary, lemon zest, bouillon cube, water, salt, pepper, chickpeas, and place the pot over medium heat.
– As soon as it starts boiling, close the lid, and boil for 30 minutes.
– Remove from the heat and add the dill finely chopped, lemon juice, olive oil, and pepper.
– Serve with lemon slices, olive oil, and pepper.
Will you Support The Pappas Post for as little as the cost of a cup of coffee per month?
Is The Pappas Post worth $5 a month for all of the content you read? On any given month, we publish dozens of articles that educate, inform, entertain, inspire and enrich thousands who read The Pappas Post. I’m asking those who frequent the site to chip in and help keep the quality of our content high — and free. Click here and start your monthly or annual support today. If you choose to pay (a) $5/month or more or (b) $50/year or more then you will be able to browse our site completely ad-free!