Opened in 1938, the main airport serving millions of Greeks and tourists alike was operational until 2001 when the new airport opened farther away outside the city center in Spata.
Shortly after it became operational, the Nazis took over the airport after conquering Greece in 1941 and used it as a Luftwaffe base for four years during their occupation. The Greek government signed an agreement with the United States Army Air Forces, who used it as a base from October 1945 until 1991.
Throughout this time, the airport— divided between a domestic and international terminal and shared runways, served as the home base of Greece’s national carrier, Olympic Airlines, as well as dozens of other international carriers who brought millions of tourists to Greece during its 6-decade run.
Today, the airport remains a creepy, abandoned facility that looks like time stood still and everyone just vanished. Signs still carry flight departure information and around check-in desks are blank boarding cards. Airplanes even lay abandoned on the tarmac.
Some of the old buildings are being used as refugee housing.
Photos by Milos Bicanski